Fostering the leadership potential in every student.
Student leadership is team based and project based. Students work in teams to plan and implement initiatives for the benefit of the school community and beyond. They take full responsibility for bringing these projects to fruition.
Student Leadership Teams
Supporting Student Learning
Tutoring during i-time, homework centre, activities that develop understanding of the norms
Caring about others
Local, national, global: charity events, community based events
Building and Celebrating our culture
Maori/Pasifika, International week, Yearbook and other publications, performing arts, sports
Encouraging participation and trying new things
Spirit events, performing arts, sports, have a go day/week
Student leadership at Ormiston Senior College is based on our vision and values.
In particular we aim to develop student leadership because:
- we value a holistic education
- we want to equip students with confidence and capability for their futures
- we want to inspire students to push the boundaries of their abilities
- we aim to develop responsibility and involvement
- To develop student leadership at Ormiston by providing the opportunity for all students to participate and have a voice in at least one area of school life outside the classroom or a co-curricular activity.
- To develop the leadership strengths in all students.
- To create a sense of belonging and community.
- To establish and nurture the concept that the opinion of each student is important and valued
- To develop a culture where everyone participates
Student leaders at Ormiston are selected after a process which begins with an application from the students explaining why and what they would like to lead at the college. From here they attend a leadership training session which includes presenting their leadership initiative to staff.
The students have three roles to play in the college:
- They are part of a leadership team which develops and implements an initiative within the school.
- They are role models for the college in dress, punctuality and behaviour in line with our norms
- They assist staff with lunchtime duties