* standard which contributes towards literacy
** standard which contribute towards numeracy
What should I have already achieved?
- Entry into Level 2 MAT
- 12 credits in NCEA Level 1 science including Acid and Base external or by the discretion of the teacher in charge of the course, in consultation with the LA.
Some students may apply for alternative entry - this will be at the discretion of the teacher in charge of the course, consultation the LA.
What will I learn?
Chemistry enables us to understand the properties of different materials and to transform materials into new and useful substances. Through Chemistry, we can understand changes that we observe in the natural and physical world. Chemistry gives us understandings on which to base educated choices about consumer products and management of resources.
Specifically the course will cover:
- Properties and changes of matter
- Interpreting observations in terms of the particles (atoms, molecules, ions, and sub-atomic particles)
- Structures, and interactions present and making connections between the concepts of chemistry, their applications
- Developing an understanding of the role chemistry plays in the world around you
How will this course be assessed?
- Standard 91161 and 91167 will be assessed by Internal Assessment in Term 1 and Term 2;
- Standard 91164, 91165, 91166 will be assessed by External Assessment in November.
Students in consultation with the teacher will have the opportunity to choose the standards they enter with the expectation of a minimum of 14 credits (including at least 3 credits from internal and 4 credits from external achievement standards, this will enable the student to achieve a course endorsement for Level 2 chemistry).
Will there be any further assessment opportunities (FAO)? No
Are there any pre-requisite for level 3 Chemistry?
14 credits in Level 2 Chemistry (including 2 external achievement standards) or at the discretion of the teacher in charge of the course, in consultation with the LA.
How much is the course fee? $50 for course manuals.