Level 3 Business Studies
What should I have already achieved?
Automatic entry - Those who have done Business Studies at level 2 -14 credits in Level 2 Business Studies, including AS 2.3 externally assessed credits.
Provisional entry - NCEA Level 2 including UE literacy
Discuss with TIC - all other cases
The ability to work well with others in a group-based environment.
The ability to set goals and meet deadlines.
An entrepreneurial spirit - a willingness to try new things and be awesome.
What will I learn?
The Level 3 course is a practical course. You will set up and run a real business, a business making real products and using real money. We partner with the Young Enterprise Scheme (YES), a nationwide programme providing you with authentic learning opportunities and the chance to win national awards. You will also explore and apply theoretical business concepts including Leadership, Quality Management, Innovation, Sustainability and Intellectual Property Rights.
How is this course assessed?
Learning in Business Studies is assessed through internal and external achievement standards. The focus is on learning the skills needed to effectively plan for and run a business.
Will there be any FAO? (Further Assessment Opportunities)
No. The learning takes place over most of the year, from the start of Term 1 till the end of Term 3. The size and scale of the project means that FAO's are not able to be offered.
- For those participating in YES, YES payment to be made at the outset of the course.
- Visits in and out of class will only be permitted during your Business Studies class, following the school sign in and sign out procedure.
- For any outsourcing of work to other students from other learning areas or use of premises/specialist rooms such as Art, Tech or Computer Science, there must be a signed Memorandum of Agreement (Copy attached)) between your Business Teacher and the other specialist teacher.
- Mentors are permitted to visit during your Business Studies class, study or lunchtime.
- There is to be no display of paper posters. Instead, if you decide to create a stall banner, you will be allowed 2 afternoons after school in the Art Room, booked via your Business Teacher
Young Enterprise Registration Fee $35 (must be paid at the outset of the course).
Each student will be required to contribute to a stall hire fee and other investment activities for their group business activities.