Level 3 Physical Education COURSE OUTLINE:
Click here for 2019 course planner
* standard which contributes towards literacy
** standard which contribute towards numeracy
What should I have already achieved?
At least 12 credits at level 2 or have had success in English rich subjects
What is the course about?
This is a university-approved academic subject with a full Achievement Standards course. There are practical components which complement the learning in this course.
This level 3 course will foster critical thinking and will enable you to understand the role and significance of physical activity for self, others and society. You will have have the opportunity to learn in a range of practical contexts (e.g. Duathlon, sport, paintball and coaching) as well as apply your prior knowledge of biomechanics, well being and personal performance to a deeper level.
What will I learn?
- Movement Analysis You will build on your knowledge of functional anatomy and biomechanics to analyse movement patterns. You will identify and explain the strengths and weakness of the skill and offer feedback based on biomechanical principles on how the person can improve their performance.
- Improving Fitness Levels Students will explore the concept of fitness and learn about the exercise physiology of how the body works to allow us to partake in sports and physical activity. You will investigate the impact of training on the body and challenge the concept of a ‘one size fits all’ approach to enhancing personal fitness levels. This unit will help prepare you for competing in a Triathlon or Duathlon in Term 1, 2018.
- Health Promotion You will question and challenge assumptions about a health promotion process and make judgements about the impact of the process on participation. You will take action to encourage others to be active. Gathering, analysing and evaluating ideas. Implementation. Participation. Issues
- Societal issues What are the impacts of performance-enhancing drugs, obesity and water safety on New Zealand society?
How will this course be assessed?
All standards in Physical Education are internally assessed.
Will there be any FAO? (Further Assessment Opportunities) FAO are on offer in AS 91501.
What are the course costs? $0. There will be trip costs of $60 approx for Duathlon